Raccoons are mid-sized animals that are about 2-3 feet long. Their bodies are stocky, round and covered in salt-and-pepper colored fur. Raccoons are known best for the “black mask” of fur around their eyes, also known as a “bandit mask,” and black rings around their furry tails.
Raccoons are nocturnal mammals. They have become infamous for their harassing, playful nature. You will find these pests severely populated in wooded areas but, they are known to venture into more populated areas to find nutrition. They don’t naturally will live in household, but they can be found in the crawl spaces. Animal control can support you determine whether you have a raccoon problem. They are most known for scattering trash and debris while excavating through your trash cans. They diet change with the season but will dig up sod in search for earthworms and ruin your lawn, or damage your garden looking for sweet corn or bugs. They similarly tend to eat small animals such as mice and frogs, or fish.
Raccoons are undesirable pests to have lingering around the home. They will distract your pets such as small dogs and or cats, triggering tension and potential hazard. Not only do they make a scratchy situation for your animals, but they are also capable of ruining your lawn or garden. The main issue they create is the debris they will scatter around you garbage cans. If you do not want to have to pick up trash every morning it is suggested, you find ways to accurately seal or store your trash cans. If you have tried all prevention methods and still have a problem with raccoons, then the next step is to call Topline Pest Control. We are your best option for getting rid of the raccoons in a kind and safe way.
SIGNS OF INFESTATION:
- Damage to a home’s insulation, wood, shingles, electrical wiring, walls or other parts of the structure is a telltale sign that a raccoon has taken up residence inside.
- Another indication of a raccoon infestation is the presence of droppings, urine stains, or built-up materials from creating a nest.
- Raccoons often raid, and can make a mess of, contents in garbage cans while they are in search of food.
- If a homeowner notices trash dispersed on the property, raccoons could be to blame.
- Raccoon paw prints may also be visible in the yard.
- Raccoons sometimes kill poultry, destroy bird nests, and damage gardens or crops, so any signs of these types of activities can also mean there is a raccoon infestation.
- Hearing loud thuds and noises from raccoon movement can also signify a homeowner has raccoons in the home.
How to Get Rid of Raccoons
- Homeowners should regularly inspect, repair and seal any of these or other potential points of entry.
- Loose siding and shingles should also be repaired, and it’s also helpful to install a mesh cover or cap over chimneys and other exposed openings to prevent entry.
- Store trash in sealed areas, ideally as a locked shed or outhouse. Raccoons are very adept at learning how to open garbage cans, so if trash cans are kept out in the open, it’s best to use tightly fitting, animal-proof lids to avoid unwanted attention from hungry raccoons on the prowl for food.
- Birdseed, bird feeders and fountains should also be removed, as they are sources of sustenance to raccoons and other wildlife.
- Store firewood, which raccoons may use to help build a shelter, at least 20 feet from the house during the cooler months.
- If an infestation is suspected and you need additional information regarding how to get rid of raccoons, contact Top Line Pest Control to inspect the property and formulate a plan to get rids of raccoons.
- Homeowners should not attempt to address an infestation themselves, especially since these wild animals may be carrying rabies, raccoon roundworm or another disease.
Why Choose Topline Pest Control
We all strive to create comfortable environments at home or work. One potential problem to this is the existence of pests in such spaces. Vancouver is no exception.
There exist several types of pests that could potentially be hazardous and a nuisance. That means that residents of this great city need to be aware of potential pests.
You can either fill in an online form to get a free quote or you may request a call by fill in a below form.
Request a callback
Read our blog posts
- How to Determine Whether Your Commercial Pest Control Is Effective or Not?Pesticides are useful in controlled environments like a laboratory as they target pests effectively. However, in a real-world setting, the percentage […]
- How Much Damage Can Carpenter Ants Do?Ants are harmless insects to most people that occasionally bite. While this may be the case for the common ant, it […]
- Everything You Need to Know About Carpet BeetlesCarpets are great additions to our interior spaces and add a ton of character while exuding a comfortable and welcoming appeal. […]