Rats are thin-tailed, medium-size rodents that originated in Asia and Australia but are now found all over the world. “True rats” are members of the genus Rattus, Rats differentiate from mice by being larger, with longer, thinner bodies and long legs.
Rats are known to spread diseases, so if you find them in your home or business it should be treated as a serious pest problem. Any rat problem inside the home must be treated urgently.
The most common Rats in British Columbia are Norway Rat, Roof Rat and House Mouse. Norway rat is larger than the roof rat. Roof rats have bigger ears and a longer tail than the Norway rat. The roof rat has a pointed nose, and they are excellent climbers. Roof rat inhabits attics, upper stories and exterior vegetation. Norway rat occupy lower portions of the building and the ground.
wild rats can live up to 2 – 3 years and reach reproductive maturity after about 3 months. They also tend to produce new litters once every 2- 3 months which means that the average female rate will produce 8 – 12 litters throughout her life. Each litter can vary between 6 and 12 baby rats so that’s means that the average female rat can have anywhere between 50 and 150 children in her life. Rats and mice can cause significant property damage because they chew or gnaw on building insulation, siding, wallboard and wires. They eat a variety of foods, including the food you might have stored in your cupboards or pantry. If you eat food that has been contaminated by rodents, your may get a foodborne illness. In some cases, diseases can be spread if you are bitten by a rodent, or if you are exposed to areas that are contaminated by rodent urine or droppings.
Have you spotted rat droppings?
If you think you have rats, it is important to act quickly to control the level of infestation and reduce the health risks posed by this rodent.
Top Line Pest Control is able to provide the most effective services to get rid of rats.
We can also advise you on how to deter rats in the first place and avoid an infestation in your home or business.
Call us today on 604 551 6504 to arrange for effective solutions to get rid of rats quickly.
How can I prevent rodents from living on my property?
1. Eliminate food and water sources:
• Keep all garbage in pest proof containers with tight fitting lids.
• Follow good composting practices for rodent control.
o Do not throw food scraps into backyard compost without covering them.
o Use lime.
o Rotate compost.
o Have a pest proof compost container.
• Remove fallen fruit and nuts from your yard.
• Remove pet food right after feeding and do not leave it outside overnight.
• Clean out waste and food from pet pens and enclosures.
• Equip bird feeders with trays and clean spilled seeds often.
• Repair any plumbing leaks to remove a water source.
• Cover pools and whirlpools when not in use.
2. Eliminate hiding and living places:
• Keep building perimeters clear of plantings, stored lumber or junk.
• Trim plants near buildings so that 15 to 20 cm (6 to 8 inches) above ground is clear. Trim branches of trees or shrubs to prevent access to roofs or balconies.
• Remove unused piles of lumber and old sheds.
• Do not store old cars or furniture outside.
• Store lumber and firewood on stands 30 cm to 45 cm (12 to 18 inches) off the ground.
3. Pest proof buildings:
• Cover crawl spaces, fresh air and attic vents with 6mm (1/4 inch) metal screening or steel mesh.
• Seal any possible entry points in the building exterior that are greater than 6mm (1/4 inch). Pay close attention to door jams and gaps between the siding and the house foundation. If you have roof rats don’t forget to check for holes in areas of the roof.
• Repair cracks in cement footings and foundations.
• Build sheds on concrete slabs.
Why Choose Topline Pest Control
We all strive to create comfortable environments at home or work. One potential problem to this is the existence of pests in such spaces. Vancouver is no exception.
There exist several types of pests that could potentially be hazardous and a nuisance. That means that residents of this great city need to be aware of potential pests.
You can either fill in an online form to get a free quote or you may request a call by fill in a below form.
Request a callback
Read our blog posts
- Signs of Carpet Beetles and Tips to Get Rid of ThemCarpet beetles infest your home via open windows and cracks in the door frame. These creatures are about an inch long, […]
- Professional Cockroach Control Services for Your HomeDealing with cockroaches in your home can be a common issue for many homeowners. These pests are not only unsanitary, but […]
- Effective Solutions for Bed Bug Control in AbbotsfordWhen you go to bed at night, the last thing you want to think about is having bed bugs. Bed bugs […]